Early College On-site FAQ

How much does on-site Early College cost?

Tuition for on-site Early College courses is affordable! Tuition is $199 per credit for the 2016–17 academic year. 

Which schools may participate? 

Only private high schools may partner with Northwestern to provide on-site Early College.  

Where does class take place?

Course instruction will take place in person at the high school, but additional work may be required at home or elsewhere with internet access. 

Which courses may I take?

Your high school may choose any course from Northwestern’s traditional catalog for which the school has a qualified instructor. Typically, these courses will be common entry-level courses in academic subjects, such as ENG1105 Composition or POS2005 U.S. National Government, but some schools offer more specialized courses, such as BIO1025 Medical Terminology.

Will the courses qualify for full college credit?

Full college credit will be applied to students' academic records at Northwestern. These credits may be used to complete a degree at Northwestern or transferred to another educational institution. We encourage you to check the requirements of the program and school where further study is planned before selecting your Early College courses.

What if I don’t successfully complete my PSEO/ Early College course?

If you are taking a PSEO/Early College course that is required for high school graduation and you do not successfully complete the course, you may not be able to graduate from high school. Please contact your high school guidance counselor if you have questions regarding potential consequences due to unsuccessfully completing any courses.

Additionally, federal and state regulations require all universities to establish standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for students receiving financial aid. The intent of the law is to encourage students receiving financial aid to make satisfactory progress towards their degrees. They must meet the following minimum requirements to receive financial assistance:

  • Halfway through the student’s declared program, a student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00. Failure to accomplish this requirement will result in the denial of assistance until a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better has been reestablished.

  • Students must earn a minimum of 2/3 (67%) of credits attempted to be eligible for financial aid. Withdrawal from a course may result in reduction or cancellation of financial aid.

PSEO/Early college courses are included on your permanent college transcript; therefore, grades not earned may impact financial aid in the future. Please contact Financial Aid at 651-631-5212 with any questions.

May a parent/guardian access a student's information?

Your student and your student's education records are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99). The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA's primary purpose is to establish a uniform framework for access, review, and correction of academic records at all schools nationwide.  In primary and secondary educational institutions, FERPA grants these rights to the parent, but these rights are transferred exclusively to the student once the student reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level (i.e. a post-secondary educational institution no matter the age of the student.)  Students who wish their records to be released to a parent or third party must authorize the college in writing.  Students may find this form on theROCK > Academics tab > FERPA channel > Student Information Release Form.
We recommend that you review the FERPA Frequently Asked Questions on our website to gain more understanding about this Act.

Is Northwestern accredited?

Northwestern is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (ncahlc.org, 312-263-0456).